- 1½ cups all-purpose flour [or 1c all-purpose and ½c whole wheat flour]
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar or palm sugar
- 1 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ cups Crunchy Monkey granola
- 2 medium eggs
- 2½ cups buttermilk (buttermilk substitute: add 2T + 1t lemon juice or white vinegar to whole milk, let stand for 15 mins. at room temperature)
- 3 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Thinly-sliced Thai bananas or other fruit
- Honey, jam or other topping
- [Optional: add ¼ tsp powdered cinnamon]
- Add all dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and blend together.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and add the buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until blended.
- Gently mix in the melted butter.
- Add a bit of olive oil to a pre-heated non-stick pan. Once oil is hot, lower heat to medium and add ½ -1 cup batter moving pan in circular motion to spread it out evenly.
- Cook slowly until air bubbles appear and bottom shows nice browning.
- Flip the flapjack and fry the other side.
- Transfer to plate, top stack with a square of butter, honey and sliced fruit.
Crunchy Monkey Tutti Frutti
- 1 sweet, ripe mango
- 1-2 sweet, firm Thai bananas (note: frozen bananas work, but do not look as good)
- 1 sweet eating orange or tangerine: seed/dice or separate into segments
- ½-¾ cup thick, whole milk yogurt
- ½ cup Crunchy Monkey granola
- 1 Tbsp fruit jam or honey
- Place the yogurt in the center of an 8”-10” ceramic plate (be sure to avoid spooning on the whey)
- Peel and cut up the fruit (a consistent dice works well and looks good)
- Casually scatter the cut fruit over the yogurt
- Dust whole with Crunchy Monkey granola.
- Place a dollop of jam or honey on top
Note: Other fruit to consider: grapes (halved, seeded), apples (sweet, crunchy), kiwifruit, firm, ripe papaya.
- 2 cups milk (whole or skim)
- ½ small Thai banana, sliced thinly
- 1 cup Crunchy Monkey granola
- 1 tsp sea salt
- unsalted butter
- Add milk and salt to a heavy sauce pan and heat until simmering.
- Add Crunchy Monkey granola.
- When it returns to a simmer, cover and heat gently for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place in bowl; add butter and honey, if desired.
(Note: Color of cooked oatmeal may be greyish; adding a bit of strawberry, raspberry or mulberry jam improves this)